Friday, May 20, 2011

It's been fooorrevvverrr!

I know. . I know. I feel like I haven't been posting anything in weeks! Truth of the matter. I feel like this life is so normal to me that I forget it is new and exciting for everyone else. I don't even know where to begin. First off the weather has been gorgeous. The sun has been out a lot of as long as the wind isn't trying to blow you over (which is does a lot!) it really feels like springtime back in SC minus the humidity. Which I might add is AWESOME! My hair looks great here when I take the time to dry and flat iron. Speaking of hair, I added a little color to mine. Picture to come after this weekend. I did a few blonde highlights and a few red lowlights. I really like it. And since I wont be spending half of my time outside or by the ocean this year, I figured these locks weren't going to change color themselves!

I start back to school on Tuesday (Yay!) And honestly, I really am excited. I feel like this is finally the end for me. We are stationed somewhere long enough that I can finally finish. While I wait to get into the RN program, I am taking classes towards a medical assistant/phlebotomy technician. I figure it will keep me busy and hopefully teach me a lot of things I will need to know.

I feel like Justin and I really haven't gotten out and done a whole lot here yet. First of all bears are awake. And we don't have a gun or bear spray yet. Might I add they have been sleeping all winter so what are they looking for? Food. . And I don't want to get in the way of a hungry bear! Although we haven't seen bears yet ourselves there was a siting at one of the base gates yesterday of 3 black bears. Sad I missed them however we have been bear stalking ever since. I would like to see one from a safe distance. Like in my car. We have been eating at lots of local restaurants here however. There aren't many chain restaurants here aside from fast food places so that has given us a chance to eat local stuff which is exciting. Here's a run down.

Humpy's - This is a cool little dive bar type place. It was featured on Man vs Food where he did a seafood challenge. We did not do this. I ordered a blackened salmon burger and Justin ordered a blackened halibut burger. We split each so we could get a taste of both. . Seriously. Best food ever. Both burgers were amazing. But then again we are in Alaska with fresh fish and seafood.

Glacier Brewhouse - I went here once without Justin with a few girls I know. I had a few different things since we all ordered apps and just shared. The hummus here was amazing. And I also had a shrimp and smoked king salmon Cesar salad. Delish. Really. I could eat that salad all the time. And the salmon of course was fresh and tasted like no other salmon I have ever had. When Justin and I went we split the shrimp and okra po' boy sand which. It was good. I liked it more than Justin but then again he doesn't really like to go outside of his "box" that often.

The Moose's Tooth - We went here for Justin's birthday. It like a pizza place. But better than any other pizza I had ever had. I had the Spinach Garlic Chicken Pizza which was Roasted Chicken, Portabella Mushrooms, Spinach, Roasted Garlic, Ricotta, Diced Romas, Mozzarella, Provolone and Garlic oil. Justin had Santa's Little Helper which is Pepperoni, Blackened Chicken, Steak, Bacon, Red Peppers, Cilantro, Mozzarella, Provolone, Marinara. Amazing food. And their beer is amazing as well. I had a raspberry wheat. Loved it. Justin had a little of everything. It was his birthday.

Samurai Sushi - This was probably the best sushi I have had. It is a really small place but had a lot to offer. I of course has sushi. I had the Hot Night Roll which is shrimp tempura, crab meat, avocado, cucumber and topped with spicy tuna. Justin had beef bulgogi. It's a Korean beef dish which he had not had since he left Korea. He was very happy that we found this place since they have Korean food.

Snow City Cafe - Sunday we had breakfast here. I ordered an eggs Benedict with king crab cakes. I don't even think I need to go into detail how good this was. Justin made his own omelet which included reindeer sausage. He really liked it. Tasted like cubed ham or something to me. Either way this place was really cool and run by hippies. Which are my favorite.

I think that is about it. We are trying to get out more and more now that the weather is nice. And I promise I am going to try and update my blog every day from now on so I don't miss out on so much. I miss everyone back home tons. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment