Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A little bit of everything

I feel like since we have gotten to Alaska that things have been a little crazy! We have been in this great state for about 2 1/2 weeks now. I must say that I am in love with this place. Although we haven't gone out and done much yet, the city is great. I was recently on the "job hunt" which I must say I hate! I just don't like going in and talking to people about me. You don't realize how much you don't like talking about yourself until you have to do it. I ultimately got a job here on base. It is about 2 minutes away from the house. When you first arrive to Alaska or right before you go on a deployment, you have to get all your cold weather gear. Now those people will be coming to be for that! It is Monday - Friday from 7:30am to 4:30pm. Not too bad. And I can come home for lunch which is awesome. I don't start until April 18 so it gives me a little time to unpack and relax. As much as I would have liked to work off base in as an admin again, this job just seemed right for me right now. It looks like school will be on hold at least until the fall for right now. I am pretty sad about that.

We are in the process of getting unpacked for good. It seems to be taking longer than I would like. I forgot how much stuff we actually have. I will try to get pictures of the house up this week. Trust me, you don't want to see it in it's current condition. Total mess. On a side note we got about 2 inches of snow today. Yes. April 5 and we are getting snow. The good thing is it warmed up and most of it has already melted.

Things are suuuper expensive here. Everyone warned me but I should have really listened. A regular bottle of Olay lotion here is around $9. Crazy, right? Plus there is no Bath and Body Works or Victoria's Secret. Soo, my dear mother has already shipped me out a care package! 2 birds one stone luckily! She stocked me up on some things and it will end up being cheaper for me in the long run. As sad as I am to be far away from family I must say the one thing I am excited about it getting packages from them! And the fact that I can at least Skype with everyone and get to see them. I am going to try and get better about this blog and updating it. I keep forgetting that what is normal life for me is still new and exciting to everyone back home! I miss all my friends and family like crazy! The race is one to see who will be the first to visit us. I look forward to showing our new home off to everyone! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment