Sunday, March 13, 2011

Days 5 & 6

It seems like I have been living out of our car. .technically I guess we have. But yesterday was an amazing day! Lets recap.

Starting the day: We left Salt Lake City, UT at 8:11am. It was overcast and 44 degrees. It seemed like everyone at our hotel was leaving to go ski and snowboard. We were leaving to drive. I must admit, I was a little jealous.

Major cities: Not that any of these were that big or anything but we did go through them non the less. Idaho Falls. . Butte, MT. . Helena, MT.

The dogs: Are getting really tired of being in the car. I don't blame them. I am too. But Raven was up most of the day looking out the side window and Siren spent most of the day with her head on the back of my seat.

Ending the day: We arrived in Great Falls, MT around 5:00pm. It was sunny and 50 degrees. Which we later learned was considered a heat wave. Awesome. That's what I have to look forward to!

Total miles for the day: 574    And in case you were wondering, the miles for day 4 was 670.7!

Time spent behind the wheel: I drove in the morning and Justin drove in the afternoon. So it was about even. But there was nothing in any of the states we went through so the 5 hours behind the wheel seemed like 10. Suuper boring driving day. Nothing like New Mexico, that's for sure!

Highlights of the day: Probably the only highlight was that Justin and I met up with some old friends and it was amazing. We were super good friends with Amanda and Rick when we were all stationed in North Carolina. We were all young and new to the military. Justin left for Korea, I stayed in Florence and our dear friends left to spend 4 years in Japan. It had been about 6 years since we were all together and yet it seemed like we picked up right where we left off. That is the one thing I love about the military. We let them know one day before we were going to be in their neck of the woods and were able to meet up. Did I mention that they cooked for us so we had a homecooked meal and we were able to have adult conversations with other people! It was a great night. The only bad part was that we stayed up later than we should have and paid for it on day 6.

I would love to add pictures however Internet in Canada leaves a lot to be desired so I am not even going to put myself through that torture!


DAY 6!

Starting the day: Due to the time change we were a little late getting started this morning. That and the fact that it was freeezing! We left around 8am. It was 36 degrees and WINDY! Whew. . Made it feel much colder than what it was.

Major cities:  Calgary, AB

The dogs: Were Ok. Not much they can do I guess. Luckily we had a shorter day today so they are relaxing in the hotel with us as I type this. They sure do hate when we have to put them back in the car. The worst part is we don't let them eat during the day. Only at night when we stop. But they seem to be doing ok.

Ending the day: We arrived in Edmonton, AB at 4:45pm. It was 35 degrees and sunny. This town is crazy. Weird roads and one way streets. I thought Justin was going to lose his mind. Poor guy. We will get to that. .give me a minute!

Total miles: 497.6

Time spent behind the wheel: So why was Justin going to lose his mind today you may ask. .because he drove the whole way! I don't know how or why he did it but he did it. I took about a 30 minute nap and I was woke up by Justin singing his little heart out. How cute. Guess I will be driving most of the way tomorrow!

Highlights of the day: We went through the border today. For some reason I was so nervous they were going to deny us entry to this country. Don't ask me why but as we were waiting in line I was freaking out. Not sure if it was because we have 2 miniature ponies traveling with us or what but luckily they let us in no problem! I had a nice nap today. There is snow everywhere but the roads as of right now. Justin just announced that Edmonton is expecting snow tomorrow. Looks like we will get out of here early! We have been lucky to find hotels that let us have our dogs. I hope it continues that way until we reach Anchorage. As we walked into the hotel with our dogs, the girl at the attraction desk makes this statement. "Wow. .those sure are large puppies. It's hard to tell who is walking who, eh?". This single statement made my day. I love that everyone says eh. And they have funny accents. I am sure they think the same thing about us though.

Justin and I have tried to map out the rest of our trip since from here on out the places we stay are going to be pretty rural. We are trying to get hotels lined up and our route down to a tee. Looks like we have about 4 more days of driving. The end is near. Thank goodness. I hope I can have Internet access at every hotel we stay at. If not, I will report once we are in Alaska. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment